Having a badge that your visitors wear is helpful to ensure security of your employees and your guests. It also helps them to feel welcome in your office space. With LobbyConnect you can print badges for visitors when they check-in.
To add a badge to a visitor type, follow these instructions.
Brother is the supported printer manufacturer to use with LobbyConnect. See the requirements below:
- Brother QL-820NW (Ethernet and Wifi)
Note: Some older Brother Printer models may work with LobbyConnect, but are no longer supported. The instructions below are specific to the Brother QL-820NW printer.
Out of the box, Brother printers include a red/blank ink label rolls. These labels do not work with LobbyConnect. You must use a blank on white paper rolls. These are the recommended label models:
Connect Printer to the Network
You can connect your badge printer via Wifi or Ethernet. For a more stable connection, we recommend using Ethernet but both work! Just make sure your wifi signal is strong in your reception lobby.
Note: The LobbyConnect device and printer must be on the same network for the badge printing to work.
Wifi Set Up
Follow steps 1-9 of the Brother user manual to initially configure the printer. (install the label, connect power, install battery unit, install coin battery, set language)
- Once configured and the device is powered on press Menu.
- Press the ▲ or ▼ buttons and select WLAN. Toggle WLAN to On then press OK.
Press the ▲ or ▼ buttons and select WLAN > Infra Manual Setting.
- The printer will search for available wireless networks. You will need to connect the printer on the same network as LobbyConnect on the 2.4ghz band.
- Press the ▲ and ▼ buttons and select the correct wireless network then press OK.
Enter your network password then press OK.
- Look at the top-right part of the screen. Use the Menu button to shuffle between lowercase, uppercase, and other characters.
- Use the ▲ and ▼ buttons to select the desired characters.
- If successful, the display will show "Connected!". Press OK to exit.
Ethernet Set Up
If you connect the printer through ethernet, be sure to toggle the WLAN setting to OFF.
- Follow steps 1-9 of the Brother user manual to initially configure the printer. (install the label, connect power, install battery unit, install coin battery, set language)
- Press the ▲ or ▼ buttons and select Menu > Information > Print Configuration > All > Start.
- A series of badges will print. Find the badge that contains "<IP Settings-."
- Locate and note the IP Address beginning with 192.168. <#>.<#>.
Sync Printer with LobbyConnect
Once the printer is connected to ethernet or wireless, you will need to pair it to the LobbyConnect device. You can do this using the automatic configuration or manually depending on the network.
Some secured networks require that you have a dedicated IP address for the badge printer. In this case, you will have to do a manual configuration.
LobbyConnect 3.0 Printer Setup
1. Verify the the iPad is on the same wifi network as the printer.
2. From the Launch screen, click Set Up Printer.
3. The app will automatically attempt to auto-detect a printer. If any are found, they will show in the list.
4. If a printer is not found, you can toggle off the Auto-Detect and manually input the printer IP address. See Instructions above to find the IP address of the Brother Printer.
5. Click Test to verify the printer is correctly set up. A badge will print from the Brother Printer if successfully connected.
LobbyConnect V2 Printer Setup
1. Verify that the iPad is on the same wifi network as the printer.
2. From the Launch Screen on LobbyConnect 2.0, tap the gear icon on the top right corner of the screen.
3. From the settings menu, Select Setup Printer.
4. LobbyConnect will scan to see if there are any available printers on the network. Printers will appear for both ethernet or wirelessly connected printers.
5. Select the printer from the list.
6. Select paper badge size you're using in the printer (see supported label sizes above.)
7. Select Test Printer. The printer will print a label that says "LobbyConnect." If this prints, select Done. You can now print a badge for any visit type that has a badge print type selected.
Printers can be manually connected to your local network if you experience issues using the automatic printer detection feature.
- From the Printer Setup page, toggle the Manual Configuration option.
- Enter the IP Address of the printer by retrieving the IP address of the printer. See ethernet configuration instructions above.
- Select the printer model.
- Select the paper badge size.
- Select Test Printer. The printer will print a label that says "LobbyConnect."
- When the print is successful, select Done.
TroubleshootingBadge Printing Issues
Q: My printer is connected to the network, and so is my device but its not printing.
A: Make sure that both the printer and the device are on the same network.
Q:The test print worked, but when a guest checks in, no badge is printed.
A: Make sure that your Visitor Types have a badge type selected. Any visitor type without a badge type will not print a badge, even if a badge printer is connected. Verify you have badge tape in the printer.